It’s a jungle out there. So much to choose from, right? The world of yoga teacher trainings is an unregulated one, meaning you have to do a lot of your own homework and research, and ultimately trust your own intuition and knowledge.
At True North Vinyasa, we offer 3 week intensive foundational vinyasa teacher trainings on the 200 hour level, that are certified with Yoga Alliance. Our focus from the beginning has been to not just crank out more yoga teachers, but to educate strong, sustainable and free thinking yoga leaders who can actually make a difference – and make a living. Our goal is that each trainee should leave feeling ready to plan classes and start teaching, and with a pretty good idea of who to teach and also an idea of his or her individual style as a teacher. We spend a lot of time on teaching labs and sequencing workshops, but also incorporate business, branding and marketing (something we are specialised in).
In conclusion, we are specialised in our field, and we designed a yoga teacher training based on certain core beliefs. That means our training is not for everyone. But it’s the best yoga teacher training for the right person. So, how do you find the perfect yoga teacher training for you? Define what you are after. Read the fine print. Take the teacher’s class. If that’s not possible, ask for a phone meeting, have a talk. Some general things to consider:
- What is your purpose with a yoga teacher training? Is it to learn more about yoga, or to learn how to teach yoga?
- What are you most interested in emphasising? Philosophy? Sequencing? Anatomy? Check the curriculum and talk to the facilitator of the program.
- What style of yoga do you want to teach? What style of yoga do you want to practice a lot? Check the description, talk to the facilitator.
- For a more objective perspective, ask for a reference from previous trainings, and talk to a person who has graduated from the programme.
- If you are considering an intensive all inclusive programme, quality of food and venue becomes quite important. Inquire about it.
The full description of our next 200 hour teacher training (November 2019) is here ›
Articles about the world of teaching and living Vinyasa Flow Yoga by Elin Jensen and Lisa Andersson Rhodiner